Tuesday 21 February 2017

Eddie Mountain Predictions versus Reality

Back in September I made predictions for how I thought the teams in the Eddie Mountain Division would perform.

From the moment I made the predictions, I was trolled, all in good fun - and not just by opposing teams, but locally as well. I will never forget early in the season when the Nitro's beat the Riders 5-3, and HC/GM Stuart said that the Nitro's did well against a team that some people predicted to win the division (awkward eye contact).

But to recap, here are the standings I predicted:

  1. Fernie Ghostriders - They have a core that has built chemistry over years, I expect them to dominate.
  2. Creston Valley Thunder Cats - They have a fantastic team on paper, individual talent seems to carry them, they need team play to advance. I expect (prove me wrong Cats) that they will have an implosion that will cost them 1st in the division. And who cares because they will play for the Cyclone Taylor Cup anyways.
  3. Kimberley Dynamiters - New team, lots of potential. I expect them to peak after December playing their best hockey in January and February.
  4. Columbia Valley Rockies - Similar to the Nitro's, and a repeat of last year, expect them to start turning heads in the New Year.
  5. Golden Rockets - They will improve tremendously compared to last season, but not enough to make the playoffs this year. 
The actual standings:

  1. Creston Valley Thunder Cats
  2. Kimberley Dynamiters
  3. Fernie Ghostriders
  4. Columbia Valley Rockies
  5. Golden Rockets

As we can see, I only got 2/5 right, and 1/4 of the playoffs spots right. I thought the Thunder Cats would implode during the regular season, but actually it was the Fernie Ghostriders rough start to the season that probably cost them first spot (and second).

Now if you read the fine print, the Dynamiters did peak in December, but January was their worst month, so I was wrong there.

I can and will admit I got them wrong, and that's the joy of making predictions - they are usually wrong, despite how well informed or justified they are.

No comments:

Post a Comment