Wednesday 17 January 2018

KIJHL Power Rankings: January 2018

Sorry that it has been so long since the last power ranking. December just got away on me.

The Power Rankings formula has remained the same, what I have done instead at the end is compared the league standing to the power ranked standing, and then calculated the difference.

The more positive the difference, the better the team is playing than their record currently suggests. The more negative the difference, the better their record is than the stats suggests. (I know, I know, wins and points matter more than analysis

So let's look at some outliers.

Creston Valley Thunder Cats, power ranked 2nd, but sit 6th in the league, a plus 4 difference. This would suggest that the Thunder Cats are playing better than their standings suggest.

Summerland Steam. They are 7th in the league and are 11th in power rankings, a minus 4 difference. This would suggest that they are due for a course correction.

I'll be honest, it was the November Power Ranking, that had them as a cold team, despite a good record, that made me scratch my head. And they are doing it again. I don't know what to say except that these stats suggest the Steam are escaping with wins.

I also should note, typically there is a team in the single digits, right now no team is doing that. Meaning each and every team right now has an area that they could imrpove statistically.

Here is the full ranking (click to enlarge):


*This is up to January 15, 2018.

No comments:

Post a Comment