Saturday 3 March 2018

1001st Post - Grateful for the last 5 years


Thursday's post was the 1000th blog post here on Nitro's Night in Kimberley - a fitting way to mark the epic achievement by writing about the Dynamiters advancing to the Eddie Mountain Division Finals with an OT win against the Fernie Ghostriders.

During the time between series, I have been reflecting on the past (nearly) five years of blogging about the Dynamiters. And I feel it is time to share how grateful I am.

First and foremost, this blog would not have existed if Glen and Tasha had not asked me to do this on the eve of defending my thesis at Gonzaga University. So much has happened and changed since July 2013. So thank you for this opportunity.

Next is my boss Rebecca. I am glad she hired me. A year into the blog and my contract was ending where I worked, so finding a permanent full time job in Cranbrook was a big plus.

Thanks to previous team president and former GM Dave. His insights into team history, volunteerism, and helping introduce me to the players - is a moment my son and I will never forget.

Taylor, thanks for letting me ride your coattails. I appreciate the time that I got to observe you covering the Dynamiters. And then in an awkward way, thanks for taking a job in the dub. (leads to next gratitude)

It was very surprising when Townsman Editor Barry approached me and asked me to do freelance sports reporting. That moment changed the blog. While I have always done posts and the occasional interview, this lead to covering the story in the game instead of sharing an opinion on the game. Since then, Barry, Brad, Corey, and Carolyn have had to put up with my submissions.

To the media booth! So many friendships have been formed in there.

To the Dynamiters board, staff, and players - thanks for creating such exciting hockey to make it so enjoyable to cover.

To the parents of the players, thanks for letting your sons come and play small town hockey.

Thanks to all of you who stop by and read, I wouldn't be blogging (and writing for the paper) if you didn't support me.

And lastly my better half. Sportsing has never been her thing. So I appreciate that she has allowed me for nearly five years to spend almost every weekend between September and March at the Civic Centre. She is the unsung hero in contributing to the blog.

So here's to 1,000 blog posts, and to 1,000 more!

No comments:

Post a Comment