Thursday, 2 March 2017

The Kimberley Dynamiters and Fernie Ghostriders Epic Series Continues

The Kimberley Dynamiters and Fernie Ghostriders continue to battle it out in the Eddie Mountain Division semi-final. Games Three and Four were played on Monday and Tuesday this week in Fernie.

The Kimberley Dynamiters went into Fernie feeling prepared and confident. It showed early during Game Three as the Nitro’s scored four power play goals in a row, scoring three of those goals within 90 seconds of eachother. The last time Kimberley did that, it was during Game One on Friday and they went on to win 8-3. With a 4-1 lead after 20 minutes, the Dynamiters were truly excited, but new they still had 40 minutes to play.

“We went into Fernie, we knew we could play there.” Head coach and general manager Derek Stuart said, “We were excited with our performance in the first.

“I got the sense that they were definitely a little over excited. No indication that they thought that had won the game.”

However, one thing Ghostriders head coach and general manager Craig Mohr wanted from his team was push back. That’s exactly what they did in the second period as they quickly erased the Nitro’s excitement and three goal lead within four minutes of the second period, doing so with only six shots on net.

“We had a couple lulls. We didn't get the goaltending we needed, Campbell would be the first to admit that, he told me that himself.”

“It is unfortunately one of those things that happens, not everyone will play their best every night. Unfortunately it cost us a win, but not the series.”

The Ghostriders would eventually steal the game 6-5 over the Kimberley Dynamiters.

In Game Four, the Kimberley Dynamiters showed their resiliency. For the second game in a row, they jumped out to an early 2-0 lead as Nolan Kurylo and Cody Lassiter would each score.

It was in the third period, up 2-1 on the Ghostriders, that the Dynamiters truly showed their cohesiveness and resilience. They were going to be shorthanded for nine minutes following a series of head contact penalties against George Bertoia.

“The attitude and excitement that the guys had to go out there and kill the penalty for George was phenomenal. They did an outstanding job.

“If there was any guy on the team that the players would choose to go to war with, it'd be George. It wasn't an easy seven minutes to kill, but at the same time, the player that made the mistake, it was easy to rally for him.”

Luckily, or thankfully, they only had to kill seven of the nine minutes due to a Fernie penalty. The ‘Riders would tie the game shortly after their power play ended.

With seven minutes left, the second in KIJHL Playoff scoring James Farmer got the puck on net, and Chase Miller found the loose puck to give the Dynamiters a 3-2 win in Fernie, levelling the series at two.

Cody Campbell had an excellent game, stopping 38 shots, and was named the Away Star of the Game.

“Campbell had a very impressive response to game three, he was calm and collected. Without him last night we would have been down 3-1. Those highlight reel saves give us a big boost and get our guys going”

With the series tied at two, it is now a best of three series. The series now shifts to Kimberley on Thursday, then Fernie on Friday, and back to Kimberley for game seven (if necessary).

MATCH STICKS: George Bertoia received an automatic suspension of two-games. James Farmer currently sits second in KIJHL Playoff scoring (2 goals, 7 assists). Fernie’s Kyle Haugo and Keegan Kingwell remain sidelined with injury.

Check it out in the Kimberley Bulletin/Cranbrook Townsman

No comments:

Post a Comment