Thursday 10 December 2015

The Kimberley Dynamiters edge out Creston Valley 5-4

In what I will label as a statistical anomaly game, the Kimberley Dynamiters were able to add to their division lead over Creston with a 5-4 victory.

Game Notes
  • I was in Creston for the game, giving away two tickets for Saturday's rematch. Their super fan, Brook, found me and got the tickets (I also believe they made an award just for him last year, fan of the year).
  • There was some line-juggling, Doell was back playing forward, and Langelaar was back in the lineup.
  • Brouwer started against Ben Kelsh, reportedly Lefebvre was ill.
1st
Kimberley got on the board early with a shot by Busch. It was in this moment that I realized, I was the only one cheering for the Nitro's in the arena. The parade to the box started after the goal - which is dangerous because Creston has the top PP and PK in the league. But that didn't stop Busch, who while on the PP snapped a point shot in, and it was 2-0 Kimberley with just over 10 minutes to go in the period - the game appeared one-sided. The Cats stormed back into the game scoring two goals in the last five minutes of the period. The period ended in a 2-all draw. Shots were 11-9 for Creston

I got to the arena before the Cats had set up the gate, because I am used to 7pm starts. But my phone was dying so I had to go get my charger. The people at the gate said I was being very honest for coming to get a ticket during the first intermission since I beat them there. I responded with, "Well if we are being honest, if I didn't need my phone charger, I would have stayed in the arena."

I also had issues posting once the game started. When I was there early, I was one of a dozen people using the wifi, because the cell reception was terrible where I was at, but then as 250 people filled the arena, the wifi slowed down. (I know, first world problems)

2nd
Kimberley took the lead on a PP goal by Richter. Creston had a quick response, tying the game up nine seconds later. Despite these two teams having a lot of skill, the game started to get chippy, both teams trying to get under the skin of the each other. Creston took a 4-3 lead with a PP marker, and during the gathering for the celebration Bertoia was knocked down, not just pushed lightly, a full on body-check, but there was no call. However, in a strange call, in that no one served the penalty, Brouwer was dished out a 10 minute misconduct - so on the scoresheet there was a penalty, but because it was the goalie, and the ref didn't get someone to serve the penalty, there was no impact on the game, peculiar. Busch who already has two goals to his name fired a shot at net from the point, it was deflected by Haase, so Busch did not get his hat-trick, but more importantly, the game was tied at 4. Then as some fans started vacating the arena for the intermission. With 4 seconds left on the clock, in a set play fashion, with the face-off in Creston's end, the Nitro's won the faceoff, Busch then fed the puck quickly to Meier who scored with less than one second remaining. 5-4 Kimberley. For two teams that have top goaltending, and defense, nine goals in two periods is a lot of scoring. Shots were 11-10 for Creston.

3rd
Compared to the rest of the game, the 3rd was pretty tame. Creston tried to claw their way back into the game. They even pulled the goalie with 2:41 left in the game, when they were on the PP. The defensemen, and the PK players, and Brouwer bunkered in and kept the game at 5-4, giving the Nitro's the victory, and extended their standings lead over Creston. Shots were 13-3 for Creston.

Dynamite Player of the Game
Jordan Busch - 2G 2A

Honorable Mentions
Jared Marchi - 3A
Jason Richter - 1G 2A
Justin Meier - eventual GWG

Extra Reading
Boxscore

No comments:

Post a Comment