Thursday 5 September 2013

Nitros tie Columbia Valley 3-3 in first pre-season game




It was the first exhibition game of the year for the Nitros and they skated to a 3-3 tie with Columbia Valley. But it looked like it could have been worse given the boys performance in the first period.

The Nitros were down 1-0 after 20 minutes and seemed to be out of sync. They were being skated around. My kids even noticed that I was getting upset about the poor clearing attempts, passes that were off, and play that was overall: sloppy.

And then after a scoreless 2nd and careless penalties, Columbia Valley went up 2-0. Then I started telling myself that it was only an exhibition game and that it shouldn't be taken to seriously. And then it was 2-1, 2-2 ....and 3-2 Nitros lead! And I started taking this exhibition game seriously.

Unfortunately in the final minute of play while on the power play in our own zone. The defenceman went to clear the puck out of the zone to go on the offensive, but his stick broke, the unlucky break, and then the game was tied.

It was an excellent showing, and has me excited for the season opener on September 14!

My kids love going to the game, because everyone from the opposing teams back-up players, to security all love to see my kids so excited about hockey. So much so, that the "Zee-boni" driver (as my kids say) came up and gave each of my kids a puck. Making it even more memorable.

I don't know if anyone else noticed, but the score clock is different this year. It doesn't just say "home" and "away" it is digital and says "Nitros"!

No comments:

Post a Comment